Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Independent Again

Well, today was the first day that I was without help since the tearing of my ACL and reconstructive surgery. I spent the first week after the surgery with My Wonderful and the second week in Kansas with my mom and dad at my sisters house. I was taken care of quite well and driven from place to place. It was quite nice! Now that I'm home again and all the help that I had is off either in Washington being an Army Chaplain (Cody is doing a practicum for the month of July), or packing up and moving to far away places (Mom and Dad are moving to Northern Ohio) I have returned to my independent living. I must confess, I LOVE IT!

Now, I know that I have said that a part of this whole ordeal has been that God wanted me to learn to depend on people and though I believe He did want me to do that he wanted me to learn also what people who are dependent feel and need. So, I have been keeping mental lists of what I needed during this time so that I can be of use in the future when friends or family are in need. Here's a short list of some practical things
I've learned that people need when they are laid up at home or in the hospital.

1.Three meals a day with snacks brought to them
2.Laundry done and put away
3.The house tidy and clean
4.Kids cared for, entertained, and occupied
5.To be told often and sincerely that they are a blessing to care for
6.Someone to sit and visit with everyday
7.To be given the freedom to be selfish so they can get better
8.Plenty of books, magazines, movies, or small projects such as crocheting to occupy the mind away from the pain and drudgery of their condition
9.Cards in the mail, or comments on facebook, or emails from everyone they know
10.Someone to drive them where they need to go when they need to go

Today was the first day I officially drove again. It was great to be able to take off and go wherever I needed to go. Everyday I feel better and everyday my leg becomes more usable and flexible. I still rely on my kids while I'm at home to get things for me now and then and to pick my leg up for me to get in and out of the vehicle at times but, I have made some great progress and though I'm not entirely independent yet, these little steps, like driving and using only one crutch now are very encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment